Sunday, February 21, 2010

Homemade suckers


Lately I have been a little on the lazy side as far as my blog goes so I am hoping to fix that and catch up on things so you can expect a lot of activity from me this next week.

The beginning of the year I made me a list of things I wanted to do this year and on my list it included making homemade suckers. I have some great memories of making them with my Mom and I thought she was so cool that she knew how to make them.


They are pretty easy to make our first batch was watermelon
According to the recipe I should of had plenty of molds by I learned this was not true we have since picked up more and are hoping to make a batch of root beer suckers next.
Charly truly enjoys learning to do this kind of stuff. She is becoming quite the little chef.

Needless to say this project did not turn out as I had hoped. We cooked it as long as the recipe said and to the temperature we should of but I think they tasted over cooked. Marshal on the other hand has loved them and I think he ate almost everyone. Not only did they taste a little to done but I think they could of used a little more flavoring. I could not get them off the marble or I could not get all the molds off. We have since become much better at them and I have found the best place to get flavoring is Hobby Lobby

My hope is that along with a new skill my children had as much fun as I did. I am trying to make lasting memories with them. I wish I would of gotten a picture of all of them in the end. Colle and Easton and Gretchen also helped and Easton was so concerned that he was not going to get one because his Mom keep telling him that these were not his that they were Aunt Andrea's In the end everyone got one and all were happy.

3 comments:

Amy Eagleston said...

I remember doing these with my mom too. So cool. I thought this was one of those crafts that retired with the 80's but it is good to know that you can still get what you need to make them.

Amanda said...

So fun Andrea! Sometimes I wish I was one of your kids...hehe
I have no fear that you will perfect them! If you ever need taste testers...well ya know ;)

Colle said...

I was a little bummed that they didn't turn out that first time. Easton and Gretchen loved them. Gretchen fell asleep with hers in her mouth.